Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Getting Rid of Plastic

I have been wanting to get rid of all the plastic in my kitchen for a while now. There is a lot of information saying that it is really bad to store food in. It leaches chemicals into our food.  On the bottom of plastic containers there is a number, if you see a number 3 or 7 that is the worst type of plastic.
Because I LOVE vintage house goods I decided I would try to replace all of my plastic with old vintage refrigerator glass. Why not do it in style :) I found this lovely set of vintage pyrex refrigerator glass on ebay. I am going to slowly buy glass to replace all of the plastic. I am throwing it all out or using it to store inedible items such as pens, buttons, small toys, etc.
I read that you should never microwave food in plastic containers as the toxins are heated and transferred to the food. This is not a problem for my family as we don't have a microwave! ( I'll tell more on that later)   I also read you should not use plastic sandwich bags!! Now that is a hard one.  I don't know how I will remedy that. Lastly was deli wrap the article said you should transfer your meats and cheeses to a safe container as soon as possible, as they will start leaching toxins, because they are the cheapest plastics. If you must use plastic look for the number 1.2 and 4 as these are the "safest" of the plastics.

Until We Meet Again,
Amy Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments......They mean so much to me!!!