Friday, July 8, 2011

Choosing To Love Your Husband

"At a cocktail party the other night I looked across a crowded room and was taken by a stranger, in half profile, a handsome, terribly young looking man with a halo of backlighted curls. And then he turned and I realized that it was the stranger I am married to, the beneficiary on my insurance policy, the sport jacket, the love of my life. --Anne Quindlen

The above quote I came across in a little book I have on love. It got me to thinking about marriage and love, and what Christ teaches on the subject.  We all know the love chapter of the New Testament.
I Corinthians 13:4-8
Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, endures all things. Love never fails.

 I love this scripture, although, it is one that is really quite hard for most of us. But you know in the light of our marriage it shouldn't be that difficult to follow these principles. After all we are  one flesh.  Ladies, do we suffer long and are we kind to our husbands? Are we puffed up or do we behave rudely toward him? Are we easily provoked when he is not doing things our way? Do we put his needs above ours? Are we always thinking of him first? We all have times when we fall short of scriptural exhortations. But it should definitely not be the norm. We should pray for our husbands and do everything in our power to be christlike toward him. He is the head of our home, and will be accountable to God for how he has managed his family. We should try to lighten his load, and not try to do things that would displease him or drag his name down.

Have you ever met a woman  who you know is constantly hiding things from her husband? It makes  him look bad because, he looks silly, and disrespected. Like he doesn't have a clue, because he doesn't. This woman is sinning against her  husband and Christ. We should be very, very careful on how we treat our husbands. Remember to love him even when he seems unlovable. Be kind to him. It is really our christian duty.  God gives us this beautiful relationship which he likens to Christ and the Church.  I know in my marriage when I am sweet and kind to my husband, he returns my kindness and sweetness 10 fold. 

I pray that it is like the quote I started with for all of us, may we look at the handsome stranger across our living room and realize it's the love of our life.....  our husband!

Until We Meet Again,
Amy Jo

2 comments:

  1. Amen! It's very important for us as wives to love our Husbands with our whole hearts. They do SO much for us, and we should never take them for granted.

    At any rate, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a kind comment. I hope that you will come back again soon. I always enjoy meeting new friends in the Blogsphere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It is certainly our "duty", and many times, women miss the blessing in it!

    God Bless you! Hello to Mrs Wildflower, too! Love you, lady!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments......They mean so much to me!!!