Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Renewing Our Minds, Summer is Almost Here!

Every summer I start to think about modesty.... You know every girl would love to look amazing in a bikini, Its ok. We can admit it... as long as we don't really follow through with our little fantasy. I grew up going to the public school and I never thought a thing about modesty. I wore my short shorts and skirts.  Bikinis were the norm for me.  When I became a christian at the age of 18 I started learning a new standard. A new standard for women, at least it was new for me.  I wanted to be the best I could be for my Lord, but how could I do this... with the Bible as my guide I started to study and read on my role as a christian woman. I realized that I had a lot of changing to do.( I still do, I am a work in progress) I have worked on the issue of modesty for years. I really have to commit to renewing my mind on a yearly basis in regards to this area. I find myself wanting to slip back into the same old patterns of dress.

 "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2.

So many times as modesty is brought up you hear people crying legalism. It is never legalistic to follow God and his standards. The world can not be our standard. Hollywood or the latest fad in the neighborhood can not be our deciding factor  on what we put on. We must think about our brethren. We must set an example for our sisters and brothers in the Lord. Also we must set an example for the world. I like to think of modesty as a gift. A gift that I can give to others. Hopefully they never look at me and feel lustful or disgusted. If ever they have I hope they will except my sincere apology.

Worship services is a place that we should put extra care and thought into our dress. For one we are coming together to worship the Most High God. He deserves our best. Another thing is our brothers, they can not help but have sexually related thoughts, if they see something provocative.  It is the way they were created. My husband has given me the 411 on this, and I have read articles where men have shared similar thoughts. I have to admit when I first heard this  I was floored. We as women are not made up this way. It definitely made me be more considerate of their feelings and struggles. As Christians we are taught to put others first , Jesus first
Others second
Yourself last.

JOY that is what you get when you apply this little saying. There is joy in following our Lord's teachings. So as we get geared up for summer and all the fun that it holds. I pray that we can keep in our minds our dear Lords teachings on the subject of modesty. May we do our best to hold to the high and holy standards of God. If we stumble ask for forgiveness and try again.

" In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls or costly array." 1 Timothy 2:9

Until We Meet Again,
Amy Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments......They mean so much to me!!!